Top News Stories...
The University and FILA Cadet Greco-Roman world team's are set after an eventful day of wrestling in Akron, OH...
Wrestling has a small lead over Squash going into the final four days. Let's finish strong and win this poll. Vote often and share this with your friends....
All of the 2013 U.S. Open champions, including World medalist Helen Maroulis (pictured) will compete for the USA against Canada and Ukraine at Niagara Falls....
Jim Scherr of the USA (pictured) is joined by FILA President Nenad Lalovic, Carol Huynh, Daniel Igali and Lise LeGrand as presenters at key May 29 meeting in St. Petersburg, Russia....
U.S. Grappling World Team selection process announced for Grappling Worlds in Russia, Nov. 16-18
FILA, the international wrestling federation, has finalized its plans for the 2012 Grappling World Championships, which will be held in the city of Ramenskoe, which is in the Moscow Region of Russia.
The date of the No-Gi Grappling and Gi Grappling portion of this competition is November 16-18.
USA Wrestling will not be hosting a Grappling World Team Trials for this event. This is due to the short time frame between the final decision on when and where the World Championships were going to be held.
USA Wrestling will field teams in No-Gi Grappling and Gi Grappling. We ask for those interested in competing for the U.S. team to immediately send in an application for a team position. We are asking you to send your interest in competing, as well as your top Grappling results. You must also indicate which style you wish to compete, as well as which weight class you wish to enter. (It is OK to apply for a spot on both teams, but you will need to give both No-Gi and Gi results).
WE MUST RECEIVE YOUR PETITION BY OCTOBER 10, 2012.
FILA has changed the weight classes in Grappling for this year. The new weight classes are below:
62 kg/136.5 lbs.
66 kg/145.5 lbs.
71 kg/156.25 lbs.
77 kg/169.5 lbs.
84 kg/185 lbs.
92 kg/202.5 lbs.
100 kg/220 lbs.
+100 kg/Over 220 lbs.
53 kg/116.75 lbs.
58 kg/127.75 lbs.
64 kg/140.75 lbs.
71 kg/156.25 lbs
+71kg/Over 156.25 lbs.
FILA allows only one U.S. representative per weight class to compete at the World Championships. The U.S. team will be selected by a committee based upon the criteria listed below:
1. FILA Grappling World Champion in that style
2. FILA Grappling World medalist in that style
3. U.S team member at past FILA Grappling World Championships in that style
4. Results from past USA Wrestling Grappling World Team Trials in that style
5. Other major Grappling competition results in that style
This is a self-funded trip. All costs for participating in the Grappling World Championships must be paid by the participating athlete. USA Wrestling will attempt to secure an equipment package for team members.
In order to participate, athletes must be able to pay the cost of the trip in advance. If the athlete does not yet have the funds, the team spot will go to the athlete who is able to pay.
Here are the costs for a participant to the event:
1. You must purchase your own roundtrip airline ticket to Moscow, Russia. You may arrive at either Moscow Sheremetyevo airport or Moscow Domodedovo airport. Bus transfers to and from these airports to Ramenskoe can be arranged through the Russian federation for an extra fee.
2. FILA requires that all participants must hold a current FILA license to participate in the event, which you may purchase in advance or at the event. The cost if purchased in advance through USA Wrestling is 100 Swiss Francs, which is $110 U.S. To do this, you must immediately send $110, a jpg photo and a pdf of your passport photo page to Jaimie McNab. For payment, you can provide her a Visa/Mastercard number with name on card, expiration date and code on the card or you can overnight a check. If you pay for your FILA license on site at the event, the cost is $210 U.S.
3. All participants must be current athlete members of USA Wrestling. You can purchase your membership online at http://www.usawmembership.com
4. There is an entry fee of 65 Euros.
5. Athletes can buy an accommodation package of 63 Euros a day for hotel, 3 meals, and access to sauna and pool. The hotel is just 50 meters from the venue. Otherwise, you must set up your own hotel.
6. All U.S. athletes must sign a contract stating that they will be personally responsible for paying any fines to FILA if they fail the doping test at the Grappling World Championships. The fine could be as much as $10,000.
NOTE 1: Your airline ticket to Russia must be purchased by October 15 or you will not be named to the U.S. roster which is due on that day.
NOTE:FILA requires that all payments must be transferred to the organizer’s account before November 1.
Again, please immediately contact USA Wrestling with information if you would like to be considered for a position on the 2012 U.S. Grappling Team competing in Russia.
Contact person at USA Wrestling: