Top News Stories...
This week, TheMat.com will move to the USOC platform, with a new look, new functionality, but with the same favorite features....
Shockley will succeed long-time chairman Jim Keen. Sr. as Chairman of the Board....
The Hawkeye senior will battle Virginia Tech's Devin Carter in the NWCA All-Star Classic on Saturday....
Cleveland, Kansas City, Louisville, New York City, Oklahoma City, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia & St. Louis are Div. I finalists. Div. II and III finalists also announced....
|Qualifying procedures have been approved for U.S. Senior World Team Trials for 2006 and 2007|
By Gary Abbott USA Wrestling
USA Wrestling has announced the qualification procedures for the 2006 and 2007 World Team Trials events on the Senior level.
The qualifying standards have been set for athletes competing in all three Olympic styles - men's freestyle, women's freestyle and men's Greco-Roman wrestling.
The 2006 World Team Trials in all three styles will be held at the Tyson Events Center in Sioux City, Iowa, May 27-28. The site and date for the 2007 World Team Trials has not yet been determined.
The champions from the 2006 World Team Trials will represent the United States at the 2006 World Championships of Wrestling, scheduled for Guangzhou, China, Sept. 26 - Oct. 1. The top three place winners in each weight class are considered members of Team USA in their style for the year.
The major qualification event is the U.S. National Championships, where the top seven placewinners in each weight division qualify for the World Team Trials.
Other standards include past World and Olympic Team members, finalists from the University Nationals, champions from two Senior Regional events, champions from the Sunkist Kids Open, the New York AC Holiday Open and the Dave Schultz Memorial International and medallists from international tour events.
The procedures were approved by the Sports Committee in each style, then received final approval from USA Wrestling's Executive Committee.
Those with questions concerning the qualification system should contact Mitch Hull, USA Wrestling's National Teams Director at 719-598-8181 or via e-mail at email@example.com
Qualification into the 2006 and 2007 World Team Trials
* Top 7 per weight category from current National Championship
* Champion from a North American FILA international competition - Current USA Wrestling fiscal year (Sept.-Aug) includes Dave Schultz Memorial International
* Past World /Olympic Team members
* Top 3 place finish in an International Tour in Europe, Asia, Cuba that is approved by USA Wrestling National Coach, within one year of Trials on Senior level
* Champion of the Sunkist, NYAC competitions - Current USA Wrestling fiscal year
* Finalists from University National Championship
* Champion of the Rocky Mountain Regional, Northern Plains Regional - Current year