|COLLEGE SPORTS COUNCIL CALL TO ACTION: Save Slippery Rock Univ. Wrestling|
By Eric Pearson College Sports Council
CALL TO ACTION: Save Slippery Rock University Wrestling (Please forward and post)
FROM: The College Sports Council
This past February, Slippery Rock University (SRU) announced its plans to eliminate its varsity wrestling program. Please take a moment to write a letter of support for saving this Division I team. Your efforts can make a difference.
Some suggested talking points:
* SRU wrestling has a very rich tradition of producing champions both on and off the mat. Graduates of the SRU program include:
Stan Dziedzic, former World and NCAA Champion, and current President of USA Wrestling.
Jack Spates, University of Oklahoma head coach, and NCAA finalist.
* SRU wrestling continues to be very competitive. This year the team placed first in the East Regional conference while placing all 10 of its wrestlers in the finals and qualifying 5 of them for the NCAA Championships.
* SRU wrestling has produced scores of coaches and teachers who serve their communities in Pennsylvania and other states.
* Western Pennsylvania is a hotbed for high school wrestling. Schools in PA sponsor the third largest number of scholastic wrestling teams in the nation, which provides a rich applicant pool for recruiting. (For example, in PA there are only 36 college wrestling teams to accommodate athletes from 526 scholastic wrestling teams -a ratio of 14.6 scholastic programs for each collegiate program, which is twice that of men's soccer with a 7.1 scholastic to collegiate ratio.)
Please show your support for Slippery Rock's wrestling team by e-mailing your letter to the following officials:
Dr. Robert M. Smith, President SRU:
Dr. Dennis Murray, Chairman, SRU Council of Trustees:
Mr. John Estey, Chief of Staff, Governor's Office:
1. Be polite and courteous.
2. Thank them for considering your concerns.
3. If they fail to respond, write them again.
Thank you for your support of college wrestling.
College Sports Council