Top News Stories...
This week, TheMat.com will move to the USOC platform, with a new look, new functionality, but with the same favorite features....
Shockley will succeed long-time chairman Jim Keen. Sr. as Chairman of the Board....
The Hawkeye senior will battle Virginia Tech's Devin Carter in the NWCA All-Star Classic on Saturday....
Cleveland, Kansas City, Louisville, New York City, Oklahoma City, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia & St. Louis are Div. I finalists. Div. II and III finalists also announced....
|Crawford and Taylor win National Wrestling Hall of Fame Trivia Contest; See the answers to the contest|
By Sara Levin National Wrestling Hall of Fame
Stillwater, Okla. - Prior to the 2006 NCAA National Championships, the National Wrestling Hall of Fame hosted the "Test Your Collegiate Wrestling Trivia Challenge". Wrestling historian, Jay Hammond created the 25-question test. All answers to the trivia could be found in the recently published book "The History of Collegiate Wrestling," which Hammond authored.
From the more than 400 entries that were received, two participants achieved a perfect score. Bobby Crawford of Kansas City, Mo. and Terry Taylor of Tulsa, Okla. answered all the questions correctly to win an autographed copy of "The History of Collegiate Wrestling" and two tickets to the 2006 Champions Reunion held in Oklahoma City during the National Championships.
Below you will find the 2006 Trivia Challenge questions and answers.
In November, the National Wrestling Hall of Fame also hosted an All-Star Trivia Contest in conjunction with the 2005 NWCA All-Star Match. Look for more trivia contests in the future from the National Wrestling Hall of Fame.
Hall of Fame NCAA Wrestling - Trivia Questions and Answers
1. Which three-time NCAA champion was never taken down?
a. Bill Koll - Northern Iowa
b. Yojiro Uetake - Oklahoma State
c. Dan Hodge - Oklahoma
d. Gray Simons - Lock Haven
Answer is c - Dan Hodge was never taken down in his career
2. Which pre-war NCAA champion transferred to another school after winning his title?
a. Otto Kelley - Michigan
b. George Bancroft - Oklahoma State
c. Marion Foreman - Oklahoma
d. Robert Antonacci - Indiana
Answer is b - George Bancroft won an NCAA title in 1929 at Oklahoma State and wrestled for Cornell in 1932, winning an EIWA title
3. A wrestler has competed for three different schools in the Division I NCAA tournament.
Answer is True - Harlan Kistler wrestled for UCLA in 1979 and 1980, Arizona State in 1981 and Iowa in 1983
4. What father-son combination were both named Outstanding Wrestler of the NCAA tournament?
a. Bill Koll of Northern Iowa and Rob Koll of North Carolina
b. Rex Peery of Oklahoma State and Ed Peery of Pittsburgh
c. Wayne and Mickey Martin of Oklahoma
d. Rex Peery of Oklahoma State and Hugh Peery of Pittsburgh
Answer is c - Wayne Martin in 1936 and Mickey Martin in 1963
5. Ken Kraft of Northwestern did not achieve which one of these feats?
a. Place in the NCAA tournament as a wrestler
b. Coach his older brother to an NCAA title
c. Start the Midlands Tournament
d. Become head coach of his alma mater immediately after graduating
Answer is a - Ken Kraft was never an All American
6. What pair of brothers were the first to become NCAA champions?
a. VanBebber - Oklahoma State
b. Jennings - Michigan State
c. Nichols - Michigan
d. Sapora - Illinois
Answer is d - Joe (1931-32) and Allen Sapora (1938)
7. Which wrestler was the first to win an NCAA title in two different divisions?
a. Bill Dotson - Northern Iowa
b. Terry Finn - SIU-Carbondale
c. Tom Kline - Cal-Poly SLO
d. Rick Sanders - Portland State
Answer is a - Bill Dotson of Northern Iowa won the College and University Division titles in 1963
8. Rick Sanders of Portland State was named Outstanding Wrestler in three different national tournaments.
Answer is True - Sanders was Outstanding Wrestler of the NCAA College and University Division and NAIA tournaments
9. What West Coast school was the first to crown an individual NCAA champion?
a. Portland State
b. Oregon State
c. Cal Poly-SLO
d. California- Berkeley
Answer is d - Bentley Lyon won a title for California-Berkeley in 1952
10. What school broke the state of Oklahoma's stranglehold on the official NCAA team title?
a. Northern Iowa
b. Iowa State
c. Cornell Iowa
d. Penn State
Answer is c - Cornell Iowa in 1947, Indiana in 1932 and Iowa State in 1933 won or shared an unofficial team title
11. In what season was a scoring system introduced for individual bouts at the NCAA tournament?
Answer is b - 1941
12. Olympic rules and weight classes have never been used at the NCAA tournament.
Answer is False - weight classes have been used 1932, 1936 and 1948 and rules in 1936 and 1948
13. Ralph Silverstein of Illinois, a defending NCAA champion, was unable to repeat in 1936 for what reason?
d. Failed to make weight
Answer is c - Flooding prevented the Illinois (and Penn State) squads from reaching Washington and Lee, the site of the tournament, in time
14. Which wrestler scored the fastest pin in an NCAA final?
a. Dan Hodge - Oklahoma
b. Earl McCready - Oklahoma State
c. Bill Koll - Northern Iowa
d. Andy Daniels - Ohio University
Answer is b - Earl McCready scored a fall in 19 seconds in the heavyweight final of the very first NCAA tournament in 1928
15. The first coach-wrestler combination to both be named Outstanding Wrestler of an NCAA tournament was?
a. Gerry Leeman and Ed Eichelberger of Lehigh
b. Tommy Evans and Mickey Martin of Oklahoma
c. Harold Nichols and Dan Gable of Iowa State
d. Myron Roderick and Yojiro Uetake of Oklahoma State
Answer is a - Leeman was OW in 1946 and Eichelberger in 1955
16. Wrestlers have suffered a loss in an NCAA tournament and still won an individual title in that tournament.
Answer is True - Ted Anderson of Central Oklahoma did it in 1936 and George Lewis of Waynesburg in 1948 under Olympic rules
17. What tournament had the most freshman (true and red shirt) champions?
Answer is d - 1947 with five, Hauser and Lange of Cornell of Iowa, Nelson of Northern Iowa, Scarpello of Iowa and Hutton of Oklahoma State
18. Who is the oldest wrestler ever to win a Division I NCAA title?
a. Dan Hodge - Oklahoma
b. Charlie Jones - Purdue
c. Dick Beattie - Oklahoma State
d. Bill Weick - Northern Iowa
Answer is b - Charlie Jones of Purdue was 28 when he won a title at 167 pounds in 1992
19. How many graduates of Tulsa (Oklahoma) Central reached the NCAA finals in 1942?
Answer is c - Six, the Jennings twins and Maxell, all from Michigan State, Arndt of Oklahoma State, Johnson of Michigan and McDonald of Purdue
20. Oklahoma State's three unbeaten streaks greater than 60 dual meets were all broken by Oklahoma.
Answer is False - Minnesota snapped OSU's streak of 73 dual meets in 2000
21. How many wrestlers have won both an individual Big Ten and EIWA title?
Answer is c - Three, McDonald at Purdue and Navy, Smith at Michigan and Navy, Ryan at Iowa and Syracuse
22. The first wrestler to win four individual Big Ten titles was?
a. Joe Scarpello - Iowa
b. Tom Milkovich - Michigan State
c. Arnold Plaza - Purdue
d. Verne Gagne - Minnesota
Answer is d - Gagne in 1944 and 1947-1949
23. No NCAA final has ever ended in a scoreless tie.
Answer is False - the McNair-Nicks heavyweight final in 1953 ended in a 0-0 draw with McNair winning by referee's decision
24. A wrestler has been named Outstanding Wrestler of the NCAA tournament even though he failed to win an individual title.
Answer is True - at the 1933 tournament the OW was selected before the final and Pat Johnson of Harvard and Alan Kelley of Oklahoma State were named co-OW, with Johnson failing to win his final
25. Legendary Oklahoma State coach Edward Gallagher's degree from OSU was in?
a. Physical Education
b. Electrical Engineering
Answer is b - Electrical Engineering