Top News Stories...
This week, TheMat.com will move to the USOC platform, with a new look, new functionality, but with the same favorite features....
Shockley will succeed long-time chairman Jim Keen. Sr. as Chairman of the Board....
The Hawkeye senior will battle Virginia Tech's Devin Carter in the NWCA All-Star Classic on Saturday....
Cleveland, Kansas City, Louisville, New York City, Oklahoma City, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia & St. Louis are Div. I finalists. Div. II and III finalists also announced....
|WWC Announces West Regional Wrestling Pre-Seeds|
Conference coaches determine pre-seeds for tournament
LARAMIE, Wyo. – The Western Wrestling Conference announced on Wednesday the pre-seed rankings for the 2013 NCAA West Regional/WWC Championship, hosted by the University of Wyoming in the Arena-Auditorium on March 9.
Winners of the NCAA West Regional weight classes earn bids to the NCAA Championships. The event also serves as the conference championship. The WWC is comprised of six schools including the Air Force Academy, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, Utah Valley and Wyoming. Just five of the six schools will be competing at the qualifying tournament this season, however, as UNC is ineligible for postseason competition.
Wyoming has won the last three West Regional team titles, while North Dakota State won the 2012-13 WWC regular-season dual title with a 5-0 mark in league action.
The pre-seeds were voted on by the conference coaches and ranked the top five wrestlers in each weight class. Final seeds for bracketing will be determined Friday night at the Coaches’ Seeding Meeting.
The NCAA recently released that the West Regional has been allocated 16 automatic qualifier spots for the 2013 Division I Wrestling Championships. The breakdown of the 16 automatic bids per weight class is as follows: 125 (4), 133 (1), 141 (1), 149 (3), 157 (2), 165 (1), 174 (1), 184 (1), 197 (1) and heavyweight (1).
After all of the qualifying events have concluded, the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee will meet in person to select the remaining 40 at-large qualifiers, who will be announced on March 13. All weight classes will consist of 33 wrestlers for the NCAA Tournament. Last year the WWC had on of its wrestlers receive at-large selection.
Qualifiers from this weekend's NCAA West Regional will compete at the 2013 NCAA Championships, that will be held at the Wells Fargo Arena March 21-23 in Des Moines, Iowa.
125 pounds (Top four placers receive NCAA automatic bid)
1. Jade Rauser, Utah Valley
2. Tyler Cox, Wyoming
3. Josh Martinez, Air Force
4. Trent Sprenkle, North Dakota State
5. Aaron Pickrel, South Dakota State
133 pounds (Winner receives NCAA automatic bid)
1. Dylan Hyder, Air Force
2. Josh Rodriguez, North Dakota State
3. Brance Simms, South Dakota State
4. Chasen Tolbert, Utah Valley
5. Kasey Garnhart, Wyoming
141 pounds (Winner receives NCAA automatic bid)
1. Avery Garner, Utah Valley
2. Mark Erickson, North Dakota State
3. McCade Ford, Wyoming
4. Carter McElhany, Air Force
5. Ben Gillette, South Dakota State
149 pounds (Top three placers receive NCAA automatic bid)
1. Cole VonOhlen, Air Force
2. Josh Wilson, Utah Valley
3. Dustin Walraven, South Dakota State
4. Joe Garner, North Dakota State
5. Brandon Richardson, Wyoming
157 pounds (Top two placers receive NCAA automatic bid)
1. Josh Kreimier, Air Force
2. Andy McCulley, Wyoming
3. Chase Cuthbertson, Utah Valley
4. Cody Pack, South Dakota State
5. Tanner Carlisle, North Dakota State
165 pounds (Winner receives NCAA automatic bid)
1. Steven Monk, North Dakota State
2. Curtis (Abner) Cook, Utah Valley
3. Jesse Stafford, Air Force
4. Joseph Brewster, South Dakota State
5. Dakota Friesth, Wyoming
174 pounds (Winner receives NCAA automatic bid)
1. L.J. Helbig, Wyoming
2. Kurtis Julson, North Dakota State
3. Monte Schmalhaus, Utah Valley
4. Clay Gable, Air Force
5. Troy Morisette, South Dakota State
184 pounds (Winner receives NCAA automatic bid)
1. Mac Stoll, North Dakota State
2. Devin Hightower, Air Force
3. Shane Woods, Wyoming
4. Shea Nolan, South Dakota State
5. Derek Thomas, Utah Valley
197 pounds (Winner receives NCAA automatic bid)
1. Alfonso Hernandez, Wyoming
2. Kallen Kleinschmidt, North Dakota State
3. David Prieto, Utah Valley
4. Josh Mohr, Air Force
5. Joe Skow, South Dakota State
285 pounds (Winner receives NCAA automatic bid)
1. Adam Fager, Utah Valley
2. Evan Knutson, North Dakota State
3. Bentley Alsup, Air Force
4. J.J. Everard, South Dakota State
5. Leland Pfeifer, Wyoming